Compare Auto Insurance

Find quality full coverage auto insurance for less!
Enter your zip code to start saving money!

Full Coverage Auto Insurance in Illinois

Whether you are a new driver in the state or a recent transplant to Illinois, it is important to understand your policy for this state. Like everywhere else, your policy requirements will vary based on the state. Location will impact the rates right down to the zip code. If you are moving from another state, though, this could be good news.

Often times moving from one state to another will actually result in a decrease in your policy rates. So let’s get an overview of what to expect for your Illinois insurance policy. The minimum the state requires includes bodily injury and property damage.

  • Bodily Injury – Bodily injury is the coverage needed should you be the at fault driver in an accident resulting in bodily injury to other passengers of your vehicle or one you hit.
  • Property Damage – If you are the driver at fault, your policy will cover damage you cause to other vehicles or property.

For the Illinois liability minimum the current amount policy must be 20/40/15. What this means is that your minimum required policy to drive legally in the state includes $20,000 for bodily injury per person per accident. The 40 represents $40,000 worth of total coverage for bodily injury per accident. Finally this policy would also include $15,000 worth of property damage coverage.

The minimum amount can change at any time, so make sure you get your rate quotes for the current state minimum instead of basing it on the information from this article. With the right carrier this should also include any legal fees you may have as a result of being sued in relation to an accident your coverage includes – one more important reason to make sure you have current coverage as a driver in Illinois, or any state really.

Other Details

Aside from just basic insurance, which is usually just liability, you may want to consider other aspects of full coverage. For example, having uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is important in the event that you are in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have the policy they should.

If you have a vehicle that is leased or financed, you will probably need much more coverage. This will be determined by the state requirements as well as the minimum requirements from your financial lender. So you may also need coverage including:

  • Collision – This covers your vehicle in the event you are involved in an accident with another vehicle. However it may not cover a collision with anything else.
  • Comprehensive – This usually covers accidents with other objects as well as protection from fire, storms, theft and vandalism, plus other issues.

To find out what you need for car insurance coverage in Illinois, get your free quote today. Compare policy premium prices easily and make the best decision for your vehicle and driving situation.